VAT and tax-free shopping
The value-added tax (VAT) is always included in the prices displayed. But as a tourist, you can benefit form Tax Free shopping in over 2.000 retail outlets.
Tax Free Shopping
On every purchase you make in Turkey, a value-added tax (KDV) is included in the price. As a tourist, you can claim that tax back and retrieve a refund some amount of the purchase price. There are however a few rules:
1. you must reside outside of Turkey
2. you must spend TL 108 + VAT or more in one shop in one day
3. the goods need to be exported within three months following the month of purchase
4. you must buy the goods in Tax Free affiliated stores (look for the Tax Free logo)
5. you must ask the shop owner to prepare the Global Refund Cheque when paying for your goods
How to retrieve your money?
Customs Office in the Atatürk International Airport of Istanbul
Regardless of how you travel back home, you have to find the Customs Officers. You need to show the custom officials your purchases, Global Refund Cheques, receipts and passport after which they will stamp your Global Refund Cheque. If you travel by plane, you have to do this before all check-in formalities or have your goods as hand luggage. At the Atatürk International Airport, the customs office is located across the hall on the far right side upon entering.
Once you have your stamped Global Refund Cheque, you can retrieve your money in any Cash Refund Office in the world. The one at the Atatürk International Airport is located inside the tax-free zone and is open 24 hours a day.